Blackouts: program specific blackout vs. regional geo-blocking blackout
Program Specific Blackout
This is a global blackout to any given channel to prevent a certain program from being aired (Example only: Family Guy cannot be shown at 7:00 PM on CityTV). This affects all FreeRange TV app users regardless of location or entitlements.
These program specific blackouts are result of broadcasting restrictions imposed by the broadcasters. Our network partner has indicated to us that the program hasn’t been cleared for out-of-home viewing. If you are using FreeRange TV at home and encounter this message, try using you’re your receiver. If you experience this message while on-the-go, we apologize for the inconvenience. Live programming will return to the channel once the blacked out program has ended.
Regional Geo-blocking Blackout (RGB)
RGB blackouts are result of broadcasting restrictions imposed by professional sports teams and their leagues.
Currently, only 7 sports channels are impacted by RGB: Sportsnet West, Sportsnet Ontario, Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet East, TSN 3, TSN 4, and TSN 5.
- You must be subscribed to the specific network to access the content, please verify on your receiver that you are able to access that channel.
- If you are not subscribed please contact our customer care at 1-888-554-7827, if you are subscribed but are outside your region you still may experience a blackout message.
- If you are in the right region and still cannot watch the program, please make sure you are using a Canadian IP address. If you do not know your IP address go to www.whatismyip.com using your mobile device. This website will accurately tell you your public IP address. Your IP information will be presented on the top right.
Freezing and playback issues
- Please Exit the App.
- Re-launch the App and try to play the movie/TV show again.
- If still not working, please reset your device.
- Ensure the device is up to date with the latest version.
- Ensure the FreeRange app is up to date with the latest version.
- If the App is still demonstrating playback issues, delete the App and download again to access content.
- Attempt to replicate on a different device in order to determine if relate to the device or a general issue.
Unable to watch Download-to-Go content (applicable to App only, not Web)
Keep in mind that that there is a 30 day limit on downloaded content. Downloaded content may also be removed if the title has expired in the VOD store.
- Verify if the content has been downloaded by someone else in your household. Content can only be downloaded by one device at a time, it would have to be returned before it can be downloaded to another device.
- You can check under "Manage Download Device" under Settings. The device you are currently using might have been removed and would automatically return all downloaded contents. Do not forget there is a 5 device limit.
- If you have logged out of your account or reset you’re your device, your downloaded content would have been returned and would need to be downloaded again.
Issues with HDMI out (applicable to Web only)
NOTE: HDMI out from a desktop or laptop is capable and meets the content security requirements from our network partners. All video output (HDMI, AirPlay, Chromecast, DNLA etc.) is blocked for iOS and Android devices as per partner and legal restrictions.
- Make sure HDMI/VGA cable is connected properly
- Make sure the customer picked the right “input” (HDMI 1, Video 2, etc.)
If the screen looks stretched, or part of the screen seems cut off, adjust the screen resolution in Windows Mac OS or Linux. If you can’t see Windows on your TV, you might need to reconnect the computer to your monitor and adjust the screen resolution before you connect to your TV. If higher resolutions cause issues, then reduce the resolution, etc.
If still unresolved, do not escalate as we do not support this feature. This is possibly a hardware issue with your desktop/laptop, TV, or cable wirings and is not a FreeRange TV issue