Apple AirPlay now available on Ignite TV
AirPlay is a feature from Apple that lets you stream content wirelessly between iOS devices and other AirPlay-compatible devices that are on the same network. AirPlay is available to Shaw Direct customers who have the Ignite TV app. Using the Ignite TV mobile app you can stream from the app to any AirPlay-compatible smart TVs or speakers that are on the same WiFi network. This allows you to use your mobile device as a remote control while streaming. The Ignite TV app supports AirPlay for live channels, recordings, and on-demand content (but not Download-to-go content).
Note: AirPlay is only available from the Shaw Ignite mobile app only and is not available from the Ignite TV web portal.
As a Shaw Direct customer, to use AirPlay with the Ignite TV app, you must have:
- iOS 13 or later on your Apple device
- Ignite TV iOS app version 7.6.1 or later
Learn more: Want to know more about AirPlay and how it works? Visit Apple’s website for details.
AirPlay Step by Step Guide
Here you will find the Step by Step Guide on accessing Shaw Direct Ignite TV through Apple AirPlay!
1. On your mobile device, open the Ignite TV app.
2. Tap the connect icon at the top right corner of the app as seen here.
3. Tap AirPlay and Bluetooth Devices to see a list of available devices.
4. Select the AirPlay device you'd like to stream to (for example a smart TV or speaker).
5. On your first attempt at connecting to a smart TV with AirPlay, you'll be asked to enter an AirPlay Code.
6. Select a program to watch and it'll play on the selected device. Playback may appear something like this:
7. Note that the AirPlay icon will be present during playback while it's active.
Did you know: While streaming with AirPlay, you can browse through the guide or library in the app for another show to watch, without disrupting the stream.
Note: For the best AirPlay experience, add your device as an accessory to the Home app on your iPhone or iPad. This prevents interruptions from other devices on your network while streaming. Visit Apple’s help page to learn more.
Here are some scenarios you may need to troubleshoot when using Apple AirPlay from the Ignite TV app.
Scenario: AirPlay device does not appear on list of selectable devices
- Ensure your device is connected to the same wireless network as the AirPlay device.
- Confirm that your app is fully up to date by checking your app store for updates.
- Refer to Apple's help page if you have confirmed all of the above and are still unable to see your device on the device list.
Scenario: AirPlay option does not appear in the app
- Fully close and re-open the Ignite TV app.
- Confirm your app is fully up to date by checking your app store.
- Confirm you have the latest iOS update installed on your Apple device.
- Restart your device.
- Restart the AirPlay device.
- Refer to Apple's help page if you have confirmed all of the above and still do not see the AirPlay option.
Scenario: Stream quality is poor or stream is interrupted while using AirPlay
- Confirm if stream quality is the same without using AirPlay. If the issue only happens with AirPlay, check out Apple's help page.
- Add your AirPlay device as an accessory in the Home app on your iPhone or iPad. Visit Apple’s help page for instructions.
- Run a speed test to check your connection speed. A minimum download speed of 5 Mbps is typically required for an HD stream.