- Check if this channel should be subscribed with your current package. For assistance, many of our popular packages list the channels included on ShawDirect.ca.
- Check your System Status (press OPTIONS, 4, 7), paying special attention to:
- Line A (Unit Address): If this starts with anything but a zero, please contact Technical Support for further assistance.
- Line B (Authorization Status): If this is "ZK", please call Technical Support.
- Line C (Signal Strength): Ensure your ecb/no is above 6.5 on the problematic channel.
Troubleshooting satellite receiver not authorized or not subscribed errors
How to diagnose the issue
How to refresh your receiver
- Go to My.ShawDirect.ca.
- Log in using your Shaw ID details.
- Select "Manage TV" from the left side of the page.
- Locate the "Refresh TV Receiver" box on the screen and click the "Refresh Receiver" button.
- A confirmation box will appear with follow-up instructions if needed.
You are also able to refresh your satellite receiver through our phone line using our self-serve options:
- Call 1-888-554-7827.
- Press 1 for English.
- Press 1 for Shaw Direct Satellite Services.
- Press 1 to indicate you have an active account.
- Press 1 to select "Product and technical support/Activate a receiver."
- Select whether you are calling from the phone number listed on your account or not.
- Press 3 to select to refresh your receiver.
- Press 1 to confirm.
If refreshing your receiver did not resolve the issue, please perform a receiver reset as outlined below.
How to reset your receiver
- Unplug the receiver's power cord from the back of the receiver or from the wall outlet.
- Leave unplugged for 30 seconds and plug back in.
- The receiver should boot up properly in less than 90 seconds.
Note: Rebooting your satellite receiver may cause a loss of your Guide data for up to an hour.
If you still see an error message, please call us at 1-888-554-7827 for further troubleshooting.
What is a corrupt unit ID?
If you have a unit ID on your Options screen that doesn't start with four zeros followed by other numbers, your unit IDs may have become corrupt. Please call us at 1-888-554-7827 to have the receiver replaced or updated.
Why does this happen?
There is an internal battery inside the receiver that works to maintain certain things such as unit authorization. Generally, these batteries have a life-span of 5-8 years. When that battery expires, the unit ID gets reset into an addressable number that doesn't fall into any current unit ID ranges. While the receiver is plugged in to a consistent power source, the authorization numbers may be maintained even after the battery expires, but if the power supply gets interrupted, this can cause the unit ID to become corrupt. This is why often times, when a receiver has a corrupt unit ID, it comes directly after a power outage or the receiver has been unplugged.