Picture doesn’t fit my screen
ContentsReasons why picture doesn’t fit your screen How to adjust through Aspect How to adjust through Video Settings
OverviewThere are a number of reasons as to why your picture may not fit your screen including viewing an SD channel on an HDTV. Learn how to adjust aspect and picture settings of your TV with these tips.
Reasons why picture doesn’t fit your screen
Some of the reasons why your picture may not fit on your screen:
- Viewing an older program on a newer or larger TV
- Viewing an SD program on an HDTV
- Viewing an SD channel on an HDTV will show black bars on all sides of the picture
- If you are currently tuned to an HD channel, the program airing may not be available in HD (the picture will return to normal once the broadcast is complete.)
If you have an SDTV
- SD programming broadcast on an HD channel will have bars on all 4 sides.
- Tuning to the SD version of the broadcast will result in a properly sized picture.
How to adjust through Aspect
You can use the "ASPECT" or "B" button on your Shaw Direct remote control to stretch or zoom the picture on your screen.
- Stretch will widen the picture to better fit the 16x9 format of your HDTV.
- Black bars will remain on the top and bottom of the screen
- Zoom will enlarge the entire picture.
- A small portion of the picture on the sides of the screen will be cut off.
If you do not have either of these buttons on your remote, these settings can also be modified under:
OPTIONS > Preferences > Video & Audio Settings > SD Aspect Ratio
Some HDTVs also have different options to adjust the picture size, please refer to your TV manual for the best viewing experience.
How to adjust through Video Settings
You may have selected the incorrect TV Type size. To adjust your picture settings through Video Settings:
- On your Shaw Direct remote, press OPTIONS.
- Press ENTER/OK on Preferences.
- Scroll down to highlight Video & Audio Settings, then press ENTER/OK.
- Scroll down to highlight TV Type
- Press the right arrow to select appropriate TV setting*.
- Press Exit to save your changes.
- SDTV (CRT): Standard Definition or TVs using Coax (RCA) Cables on an HDTV
- HDTV Small: -32" HDTV
- HDTV Large: +32" HDTV